Each of us faces different challenges in leadership, and it is important to reflect on the caution lights along the way.
This week I wanted to take you back to a podcast episode I shared over a year ago that others have found helpful as they reflect on their own leadership journeys: Caution Lights for the Leadership Journey. Just like for me, I hope the reflections can help you evaluate where you may have room to grow too.
Here are the show-notes with links:
- I almost left the profession of school leadership after my first couple of years. Chris LoCurto’s blog references a wheel-of-life that makes a good illustration.
- You can see the original blog post that I reference for this podcast at 4 Caution Lights for Leaders.
- The misconception of believing you are superman will result in every other of your life becoming unhealthy.
- Why it’s so important to invest in other areas of your life than just work: Do you find yourself working harder without feeling productive? Are you paying attention to the signposts of good health?
- Good nutrition, exercise and rest can add more value to the way you work.
- Your personal growth and leadership growth cannot be separated.
- Relying on your personal compass (for me that involves my faith) gives you a deeper understanding of why your work matters.
- Focusing on all these areas will provide you with the ingredients you need to keep your leadership effective.
Serving others the way you should only happens when you are taking care of the most important priorities in your life.
Now It’s Your Turn
What is one step you can take today to focus on a priority in your life other than work? Give attention to that area over the next week, and see what kind of effect it has on your overall productivity as a leader.
Rate PMP on iTunes!
Visit iTunes and leave a comment; when you do, it makes PMP more visible to others!
Sign-Up For Free Updates and Ebook
When you enter your email address below, you will automatically receive my newest posts and a free Ebook, 8 Hats: Essential Roles for School Leaders. Let’s keep learning together!
Principal Matters–The Book!
School leaders are very busy, so each of the twenty-four chapters is designed as a quick-read and followed with take-action questions for follow-up or reflection. If you want practical ideas on understanding your purpose, managing school teams, dealing with challenges, and leading with courage, action, motivation, and teamwork, go HERE to pick up a copy for you or your team.